I’ll be your mirror, reflect what you are
2010 • 24×18 in. Charcoal
This piece is based on the Velvet Underground song “I’ll Be Your Mirror”. The female figure is channeling a spirit which is being formed as the ectoplasm behind her head and body. The spirit is possessing her while releasing her thoughts which are represented by the locusts fleeing her mind. Simultaneously, the spirit is guiding her through a hidden dimension behind the mirror so she can confront her deepest inner thoughts and expressions.
- The image is split symmetrically where one half of the door appears to be closed and the other is open to symbolize the transformation from closed to open-mindedness.
- Behind the window on the door is a person wearing a similar hood as the spirit that’s protecting and guiding her through the experience. This is to show that this spirit is of someone close to her.
- The dog who is looking into the darkness within her mind is a companion who waits for her on the other side of this spiritual journey.
- The chessboard on the floor symbolizes that this journey is a battle and that she must overcome her demons before achieving purity.
- There are also some direct references to the lyrics such as:
- The candle above the door to depict “The light on your door to show that you’re home”
- Her hands covering her head to depict “Please put down your hands, ‘Cause I see you”.